- University of Texas School of Law, J.D. with honors, 1992
- University of Texas, B.A. in Economics with honors, 1989
- Tulane University, 1985-1986
- PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Vinson & Elkins LLP, 1992 - 2001
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, 2001 - 2006
- BAR ADMISSIONS
- State of Texas, Admitted 1992
- All Federal District Courts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Houston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, Bankruptcy Section
- AWARDS AND HONORS
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, 2017
- Thomson Reuters-Texas SuperLawyers, Bankruptcy, 2012-2016
- 2016 TMA Transaction of the Year award winner –Aziz Convenience Stores LLC
Matthew S. Okin founded the Law Office of Matthew S. Okin, a boutique bankruptcy and commercial litigation law firm, in September 2006. In May 2007, Chris Adams joined Matthew to form Okin Adams LLP and further expand Matthew’s already growing practice. Matthew offers a unique mixture of practical business knowledge, legal expertise and client relationship skills that can help you resolve your legal issues. He has experience representing clients in a variety of commercial litigation cases, bankruptcy and restructuring matters and commercial transactions.
Prior to founding his own firm, Matthew practiced law at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, a renowned international law firm with one of the leading bankruptcy practices in the United States. At Akin Gump, Matthew’s practice focused on the representation of debtors and creditors in the negotiation of complex plans of reorganization and the litigation of contested matters and adversary proceedings related to Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. Serving as the lead day-to-day counsel to debtor corporations and creditor constituencies has complemented his litigation skills with the business-based practicality designed to minimize risk and maximize returns to creditors in a variety of legal arenas – from litigation to transactional issues.
Matthew spent his first nine years of legal practice representing a wide variety of clients in commercial disputes, bankruptcy matters and toxic tort cases at the international law firm of Vinson & Elkins, LLP. While at Vinson & Elkins, Matthew developed many of the litigation skills he brings to bear for his clients today in both his trial and bankruptcy practices. He developed these skills through extensive real-life experience, including first and second-chair jury trials and bench trials, state and federal appeals, numerous court appearances, and hundreds of hours of depositions on behalf of clients of Vinson & Elkins. In addition to valuable hands-on experience, Matthew also honed his litigation skills through his participation in Vinson & Elkins’ extensive in-house training program for litigators and by attending the intensive, two-week trial practice training seminar, National Session conducted by the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
Matthew’s experience in highly charged, challenging situations involving both financial restructuring and litigation matters brings an extraordinary resource to assist you in managing your legal issues. His combination of legal skills and business practicality provides perspective and results in handling clients’ most sensitive legal issues.
- Representative Bankruptcy Experience:
- Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, Black Elk Energy Offshore Operations, LLC (S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to the Debtor, Aziz Convenience Stores, LLC (S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to the Debtor, Winland Ocean Shipping Corporation, et al. (S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to the Debtor, Amidee Capital Group, Inc., et al. (S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, Eagle Geophysical, Inc., et al. (S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to the Debtor, Reveille Resources, Inc. (S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, Moll Industries (W.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, Exide Corp. (D. Del.)