Raymond J. Urbanik
- Duquesne University, Bachelor of Business Administration
- Duquesne University, The Law School
- PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Barnes & Thornburg, 2016
- Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr PC, 1990 - 2015
- BAR ADMISSIONS
- State of Texas
- State of New York
- State of Pennsylvania
- All districts of the Federal Courts in Texas
- Eastern and Southern Districts in Federal Courts in New York
- Districts in Federal Courts in Pennsylvania
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section
- New York State Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, Bankruptcy Law Section
- The Turnaround Management Association (Former President of the Dallas/Fort Worth Chapter)
Raymond J. Urbanik is of counsel at the newly opened office of Okin Adams in Dallas, Texas. Ray has worked on virtually every type of bankruptcy matter in his 25 years of practicing bankruptcy and insolvency law. Ray has worked large and small Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases, bankruptcy litigation, out-of-court restructurings, assignments for benefit of creditors, out-of-court liquidations and financial restructurings and business acquisitions and dispositions. Mr. Urbanik has been counsel to debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, numerous creditor committees, insurance companies, parties to complex executory contracts, bankruptcy trustees, receivers and parties acquiring businesses in Chapter 11 cases. He also advises private businesses on a wide variety of general corporate and litigation matters.
Mr. Urbanik is an active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Turnaround Management Association. Mr. Urbanik previously served as president of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and has served on conference planning committees.. Mr. Urbanik is active locally and nationally in both the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Turnaround Management Association.
Ray spoke in November 2015 at a conference in Pittsburgh sponsored by the Turnaround Management Association on oil and gas insolvency issues and in December 2014, Mr. Urbanik spoke at the American Bankruptcy Institute Writer Leadership Conference. Mr. Urbanik is a guest lecturer at the University of Texas, Dallas campus and lectures on Chapter 11 restructurings at the Naveen Graduate Business School of Management.
Mr. Urbanik earned his B.B.A. and J.D. from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is admitted to practice in Texas, New York and Pennsylvania. He is admitted to practice in all United States Districts in Texas and the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York. Mr. Urbanik obtained his Certified Public Accounting License in Pennsylvania prior to attending law school.
Prior to joining Okin & Adams, Mr. Urbanik was a partner at Munsch, Hardt, Kopf & Harr P.C. in Dallas where he began his career in 1990.
- Representative Bankruptcy Experience:
- Representation of the Settlement Trust Trustee in the 2014 District of Delaware Chapter 11 Case of Tuscany International Drilling (USA), Ltd.
- Representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Color Star Growers and affiliated entities as well as representation of the Post-Confirmation Liquidating Trustee. Color Star Growers was one of the largest greenhouse growers in the United States and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Texas in December, 2013.
- Representation of the stalking horse purchaser in the 2013 Sea Trail Corporation bankruptcy case in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Representation of lead counsel for antitrust litigation plaintiffs in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Reddy Ice Inc. and Reddy Ice Holdings, Inc.
- Representation of the Chapter 11 Trustee in the bankruptcy case and affiliated receivership of a technology business with operating internet web sites and portfolio of over 500,000 internet domain names.
- Representation of numerous creditor committees in business bankruptcy cases including recently the Chapter 11 case of Home Interiors and Gifts, Inc.
- Representation of an international outsourcing company in executory contract negotiations and litigation matters including in the cases of Delphi Corporation, Eclipse Aviation, Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation and Washington Mutual, Inc.
- Representation of a regional bank in bankruptcy cases and non-bankruptcy matters related to Transcontinental Realty Investors.
- Representation of a telecommunications manufacturer in its Chapter 11 case in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Representation of an oil and gas exploration company in an out of court restructure.
- Representation of stalking horse purchaser of Brook Mays Music Centers.
- Representation of a national franchised restaurant operation in general corporate and litigation matters.
- Representation of a restaurant chain in a Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Representation of creditors’ committees in recent cases involving office products manufacturing, carpeting manufacturing, a computer systems distributor, a school bus manufacturing company, and a chemical sales and distribution company.
- Chapter 11 representation of the purchaser of a health care business operation consisting of multiple retail pharmacies and infusion centers.
- Representation in a Chapter 11 case of the purchaser of an education web site for students and educators.
- Presentations & Publications
- Oil and Gas Restructurings, Turnaround Management Association Conference, Pittsburg, PA, November 2015
- ABI 2014 Winter Leadership Conference, La Quinta, California
- Regular guest lecturer at the University of Texas, Dallas, Naveen Jindal School of Management (2009–2014)
- “Now What? A How-To Guide for DME Providers Who Want to Buy, Sell, Sub-Contract or Dissolve” February 2013
- “Show Me the Money – Panel Discussion on Cash Collateral”
- Turnaround Management Association Meeting, Dallas/ Ft. Worth Chapter, January 24, 2013
- Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Law, October 2004
- Now What? A How-To Guide for DME Providers Who Want to Buy, Sell, Sub-Contract or Dissolve, February 2013
- Asset Sale in Bankruptcy, September 2009
- In a Down Economy Chapter 11 Can Solve Problems, September 2008